Como Rotary has a strong focus to support and improve the quality of life for those in need in our community.
- Approval of a $3,000 District Grant with a matching $3,000 Club donation for a total $6,000 to Manning Mens Shed. This supported a range of modifications made at their Shed, including a new storage compactus, new external fences and paved areas for members.
- Completion of the joint project with Soroptimist International South Perth at Boronia Pre-Release Centre for Women, for a new children’s Adventure Playground. Our Community Partner, Manning Mens Shed also supported the project with the construction of a number of play items for the playground. With the high standard of design and work completed by Boronia and MMS, the joint $10,000 project contribution has seen the finished playground have an estimated $50-$60,000 completion value. This has been an excellent example of a collaborative community project between Boronia, Como Rotary, Soroptimist South Perth and Manning Mens Shed.
- Continuing support with donation of $3,000 for Starting Over Support (SOS), as demand for their services continue to grow. Club members generously provide kitchen and home furniture items as required from time to time
- Our support for Carson Street School continues to grow. We donated over $2700 for a new set of Sphero ball robots, which are valuable for the children’s learning and development. Also the Carson Street Sewing Group has recently been established, to sew and make a range of clothing items required by the children, rather than being purchased by the School and parents. Start-up sewing material costs $700 donated. Our Club is involved in a finance subcommittee exploring viable options to fund a new school bus in 2020.
- Donation of $2,134 to Moorditj Keila to assist with the design and purchase of new children’s basketball uniforms. Our Club logo is part of the design to reflect our community support.
- Approval of an Australian Rotary Heath (ARH) Indigenous Medical Scholarship, ($2,500), which is matched by a $2,500 government grant. Our student, Tahnee Carter is studying at Curtin University and is currently in her 4th year of her degree.
- Continued support ($1,100) for the highly successful Engaging Young Leaders Program, sponsored by Southcare, to develop young professionals for involvement in the Aged Care and NFP sector on Boards
- The MND Association WA annual Walk to D’Feet MND fundraiser event. The Club provides a sausage sizzle at the event, with all proceeds (estimated $1,500) donated back to MNDAWA
- Community Partnership with Como Secondary College. We have recently established a scholarship in the name of past member Des Killick for students attending Como Secondary College
- Community Partnership with Manning Mens Shed. Como Rotary has proudly assisted Manning Mens Shed since they were established, and we have worked on a number of community projects together.