Community Service objectives: To support and improve the quality of life for those in need in our community.
1. Our Community Partnership with Para and Ability Dance WA (PADWA)continued to grow in 2023. PADWA support people with disabilities to share in the joy of dance.
We supported PADWA with a highly successful Bingo Night fundraiser, raising $6,000 to support dancers to travel and compete in international and interstate competitions. A great community event, with over 140 people in attendance.
Como Rotary sponsored Deborah Kazich a PADWA dancer in the Southern Districts Rotary Shine On Awards, which recognises the abilities and service to the community of people with disabilities.
2. Manning Men’s Shed (MMS) have been a long term valued Community Partner with Como Rotary. This year we successfully received a District Grant $2,000 and with a Club contribution were able to make a Community Donation $5,000 towards new computer equipment which linked with their machines to improve dust management in the Shed for Health & Safety purposes
3. Des Killick Scholarship Award $1,000 at our Community Partner, Como SC,awarded to student Georgia Neill for the 2023 year, to support with study and related costs for Year 12 studies.
4. Des Killick Student Funds at Collier PS & Curtin PS. Two students selected at the schools receive $250 each (total $1,000) to assist with attending outside school programs and activities, which may not be available to them. This Program is committed for a 3-year term from Des Killick Foundation funds held.
5. Starting Over Support (SOS) are a long term valued Community Partner which we love to support.
The SOS motto is “Helping turn a house into a home after crisis.” They support families into new homes escaping domestic violence situations, who generally have nothing to furnish the new homes. We have again provided a $3,000 Community Donation, and many members also deliver household equipment direct to their warehouse, having just moved to new premises in Malaga.
6. Collier Primary School, a Community Partner with continuation of sponsorship $1,000 of the Dogs Story Program, to support the reading development of students. Thank you, Susanne Wakeman, Como Rotary Community Liaison member for your continuing support at Collier PS.
7. Carson Street School (CSS) are a long term & valued Community Partner of Como Rotary. We just admire and love the dedication of all staff and volunteers in assisting the students, with their objective of “helping every child shine.” This year with support of funds ($2,000) from the former Como Ladies Sewing Group we were able to provide a $4,000 Community Donation to assist with equipment required for the students in their Rainbow Room.
8. Australian Rotary Health (ARH): Como Rotary is an active long term supporter of ARH, with the current priority of children’s mental health research. In October 2022 the Club entered a car “Como 1982” in the Mill Point Rotary (MPR) BulldustNBack (BNB) community fundraiser Rally to raise funds for ARH. This was successful, and Como Car 1982 raised $5,500 and MPR added $4,500 for a total donation of $10,000 to ARH. Thank you to all members for their kind donations to achieve this donation. A great time had by Capitano Rosco & JD on the BnB Rally. Como Rotary’s total ARH contributions for 2022-23 is $7,550, being in top five for D9465.
9. ARH Indigenous Health Scholar Program was continued for 2023 with our $2,500 sponsorship of IH Scholar, Ellen Engelke, who has been undertaking practical studies at the Albany hospital this year.
10. Lifestream Karawa a new Community Partner we are seeking to support in providing regular community dinners for local community residents who are struggling in the current economic environment to put food on their table. We have current plans to expand this as an ongoing community project in 2023-24.
11. Southcare & Emerging Young Leaders in Governance Program (EYLG) continued support as a Community Partner of this highly successful development program for young business people who wish to seek opportunities on boards in the Aged Care & Community sector. Program now in its twelfth year, with many graduates now having achieved places on community boards. The brain child of both Nicky Howe and Alicia Curtis and widely supported by the NFP sector.
12. We continue our Community Partnership with Soroptimist International South Perth (SISP) in several areas. Again, this year we have supported their Grand Carers School Bags project with a $2,000 donation. Also, bags sewn by our resident sewers have been donated.
OTHER COMMUNITY SUPPORT
- Donation $1,000 to Foodbank WA to support their Winter Food Appeal, with their food services currently in huge demand. Their low-cost food shop is now servicing 200+ customers per day, up from 60-80 per day prior to COVID.
- Donation of $1,100 for the Haven, for their wonderful community support in providing meals to the local homeless. This has increased to 200+ per day.
- Donation $1,500 including BBQ proceeds to MNDA WA as support for their annual Walk To D’Feet MND Walk fundraiser
- Community donation $500 to Mill Point Rotary to support their Christmas Hamper project in the local community.
- Donation $500 to Prostate WA in support of PP Alan Ramsay fundraiser
- Donation $250 to MACA Cancer Ride for Research in support of PP Clementine Kohler.
- Continued support of local Primary Schools for their year-end Graduations, with Community Awards donations for $500.
- Support for Collier PS annual fundraiser, Mulch & Manure by a team of hard working Como members.
- Our successful Buddy Bench Project, continues in supporting the wellbeing and mental health needs of children in the school playground, started by the Club in 2019. Progress has continued steadily, with Morley Rotary recently completing 30 benches for local primary Schools. This now totals 50+ benches across metro Perth. A great achievement for the community.
Thank you to the Community Services Committee for your support during the year. Como Rotary financial support to the various community causes as detailed above totals $33,170
Community Services July 2023