This year we established a valued new Community Partnership with Para and Ability Dance WA (PADWA) which supports people with disabilities to share in the joy of dance.
Community Service objectives: To support and improve the quality of life for those in need in our community.
- New Community Partnership with PADWA, including District & Club funding $4,400 for specially designed dancers back packs and polo shirts, including Como Rotary logos.
- Continuation of the Des Killick Scholarship Award $1,000 at Como SC, awarded to student Bella Gooding for the 2022 year.
- Establishment of the new Des Killick Student Awards at Collier PS & Curtin PS. Two students selected by the Principals at each school receive $500 each to assist with attending outside school programs and activities, which may not be available to them. This Program is committed for a 3-year term from Des Killick Foundation funds held by the Club.
- Continued support for our Community Partner, Collier PS with renewal of the Dogs Story Program $600, which supports the reading development of students. Donation $200 to students for the purchase of material to make scarves for homeless. On completion the scarves were donated to a Homeless Group for distribution. Contribution by the students very much appreciated.
- A $3,000 partnership grant with SISP to support their well established annual Grand Carers School Bags for children project, coordinated by Wanslea community services.
- Donations totalling $3,000 for the Haven, for their wonderful community support in providing meals to the local homeless.
- Includes $843 contribution by local Rotary Club collaboration for purchase of a large refrigerator for their food supplies
- Donation $1,500 including BBQ proceeds to MNDA WA as support for their annual Walk To D’Feet MND Walk fundraiser
- Continuing Community Partner support $1,100 for the highly recognised Emerging Young Leaders in Governance Program sponsored by Southcare.
- Continued support of local Schools for their year-end Graduations, with Community Awards donations for $500.
- Support for Collier PS annual fundraiser, Mulch & Manure by a team of hard working Como members.
- Continuation of the successful Buddy Bench Project, supporting the wellbeing and mental health needs of children in the school playground, started in 2019.
- Achieving great progress under leadership of PE Kevin Saunders as Project Coordinator, with now over 20+ benches set up at Primary Schools across the Perth metro.
- Support from our Community Partner, Manning Men’s Shed appreciated for new benches constructed for South Perth PS and Curtin PS.
- Club donation $1,500 and $320 by members towards ARH Lift the Lid for Mental Health Program.
- ARH Indigenous Health Scholarship $2,500 continued in 2022, for Scholar, Ellen Engelke studying medicine at Curtin.
- Donation of $3,130 to our Community Partner Start Over Support (SOS), to assist with their wonderful services for relocating families into new homes from domestic violence.
Despite COVID interruptions, we have been able to successfully provide continuing support for our local community. Our Community Partnership strategy continues to underpin our community relationships and activities in the local community.
Thank you to all members of the Community Services committee, and their “Community Liaison” roles. Much appreciated