Community Service objectives: To support and improve the quality of life for those in need in our community.
Committee Members: John Dodman, Kevin Saunders, Pat Pinkus, Dennis Menzies, Megan McKrill, Audrey Foote, Susanne Wakeman, Ross O’Neil, Heike Davey and Gary Day.
- Delivery of “Poppy”, the new School Bus at Carson Street School after 3 years of collaborative community fundraising. Como Club contributed near $30,000 including generous support from Mill Point Rotary Club & Carson St Sewing Group.
- Implementation of Des Killick Foundation Student Scholarship at Como SC. $1,000. Tristan Robertson 2021 Awardee.
- Back Packs for Kids Project completed with delivery of 165 back packs to SOS for distribution to school children. Funded by a $3,000 D9465 Grant. Thanks to Pam O’Garr and team for the great work, which was much appreciated by SOS
- Bags for Blokes (New member Project $500) initiated by Colin Levett completed with delivery of bags to SOS, also much appreciated by SOS
- Collier Primary School received a $600 donation to support their student Storey Dog Book Reading Project
- The Collier Cookbook (New member Project $500) initiated by Susanne Wakeman, as a co sponsor of Collier Primary School Cookbook fundraiser project. Well done Susanne
- Carson St Sewing Group donations of $1,000 to SOS and $2,500 to support children’s activities at Carson St School
- Donation $3,000 to MNDA WA as support for their Walk To D’Feet MND Walk fundraiser
- Community Partner support $1,100 for the Emerging Young Leaders in Governance Program sponsored by Southcare
- Supported representatives of Manning Men’s Shed and Southcare, care staff, to attend the Joint Rotary District Conference in recognition of great work during COVID
- Continued support of local Schools for their yearend Graduations, with Community Awards donations
- Thank you to Marielle Sloss for her ongoing support with the collection of sarongs for Street Chaplains WA
- Our Buddy Bench project successfully established with Collier Primary School in 2019, now post COVID, making positive progress under the guidance of new member Kevin Saunders as Project Coordinator
- ARH donation $1,500 and $394 by members towards Lift the Lid for Mental Health.
- ARH Indigenous Health Scholarship renewed $2,500
- Club Film fundraiser Day at Cygnet Theatre held with proceeds of $3,000 donated to SOS for their wonderful ongoing work
Thank you to Heike Davey for her contribution as Coordinator of Carson St Sewing Group, who retired from this role December 2020
Our close community relationship with Soroptimist South Perth Club continues, with plans for joint projects currently being progressed, including a joint fundraiser Fashion Parade in 2022.
Our Community Partnership strategy continues to successfully underpin our community relationships and activities in the local community, which adds positively to our local brand profile
Thank you to all members of the Community Services committee, and their “Community Liaison” roles. Much appreciated